Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Dear Administrator

Why do you give us so much work? Do you not understand that I am a teacher? I want to work with the students and they are my number one priority. Why is that we have weekly monthly meetings that waste our time? Why do we have professional development days and you never bring in a speaker or something for us to learn how to teach better? All you have us do is sit at a computer and type in the curriculum. You are the curriculum director, you should be typing in the curriculum and giving it to us. Oh, I know, the curriculum isn't a piece of paper, it is a living process. We will never be done with it. It is killing us. It is so boring to always be working on this. It does not have a direct impact on my students. I wish I could go to something inspiring and energizing and learning some actual math or how to better teach it, imagine that!

Dear Administrator - you suck the live out of teaching. Now, you tell me today that my portfolio is due in under 2 weeks. Don't you see that that is not enough notice. I am supposed to pull together a portfolio of my best lessons and write a reflections piece about each of these. I guess you are just going to get a haphazard portfolio because I do not have the time. I am going away this weekend and then next weekend, I will be writing my next geometry book/binder because you do not provide me with a decent book for my students. That will take longer than a weekend, but I need it to get done because the students will be needing it. Then, during the week I am a bit busy what with teaching and all - the Monday meetings, the Tuesday extra help, the Wednesday math competition until 7:30 pm, and the Thursday tutoring session, then the daily grading, planning, copying, and answering emails. It is all so ridiculous. If I worked to the contract, nothing would get done. I would be grading during classes, lessons would suck. I have a family with a husband and 4 young kids that need me attention, plus I have 110 students. Yet, you force me to waste my time. It is no wonder teachers get so burnt out and leave the profession. Sure, we get our summers "off" but we are prepping for next year.

Dear Administrator - Why is it that you get more than twice as much as I do? You are a curriculum director, but I can't tell you anything that you do besides make up powerpoint slide shows to present to us and the school committee. Maybe I should apply for your job, except I don't like to be the boss and I enjoy being with the students. You were a teacher, why did you leave, was the administration sucking the life out of you and you decided to join the ranks.

Dear Administrator - I do not have professional status yet. I am forced to walk on eggshells with my mouth duct taped for fear of losing my job. But, one more year, buddy - then just you wait. I will open my mouth far and wide and reveal all this ridiculousness (if that is a word - I like it though!)

Dear Administrator - Just thought I would give you a warning. Makes me feel better.

Me - a tired teacher (only in my second year)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home